Starburst Galaxy release notes #
Starburst Galaxy is updated regularly. The following release notes provide highlights of user-facing changes available with specific new deployments.
25 May 2023
- Added support for Oracle catalogs.
24 May 2023
- Added Starburst Warp Speed support for Tabular catalogs.
12 May 2023
- Fixed usability issues when attempting to add a contact to the Contacts metadata field in catalog explorer panes, if the contact is not already present in the account’s list of users.
10 May 2023
- Added public preview support for schema discovery. Use schema discovery even on suspended clusters to find new files and changes in your object storage locations.
9 May 2023
- Starburst Warp Speed is now supported on all AWS regions.
4 May 2023
- Added public preview support for schema-based data products. Data products provide a collection of curated, high-quality related datasets and relevant metadata.
- Improved responsiveness and updated the look of the Cluster list.
- Added support for MariaDB catalogs.
- Added the ability to revoke catalog, schema, and table privileges from catalog explorer panes.
25 Apr 2023
- Removed support for deprecated connection formats in MongoDB catalogs.
- Fixed an issue that caused buttons to overlap in the clusters pane on small width screens.
20 Apr 2023
- Added Audit log panes to the schema and table levels of the catalog explorer.
- Replaced the Start and Stop actions for clusters with a new Enabled switch in the clusters list. The Stopped cluster state was renamed to Not enabled. See Cluster status and transitions for more information.
18 Apr 2023
- Fixed an issue that allowed users who were denied access to a cluster to start and stop the cluster.
17 Apr 2023
- Added limited support for MongoDB Atlas Data Federation.
- Increased the information shown in quick info dialogs, and added the ability to select and copy text from them.
- Enabled case-insensitive name matching for Snowflake databases.
11 Apr 2023
- Added Zing Data to Connection information. Only Copy details are available. Downloading the connection file is not supported by Zing Data.
- Added a collapse and expand icon for the results panel in the Query editor.
- Fixed an issue that caused the display of incorrect column names in the roles and privileges pane.
6 Apr 2023
- Enabled case-insensitive name matching for MongoDB objects.
- Added catalog logos to the query editor to visually indicate each cluster’s connected data sources.
5 Apr 2023
- Added public preview support for global search. Use global search to search through your data entities across Starburst Galaxy.
- Added public preview support for schema, table, view, and column name auto-completion in the query editor.
4 Apr 2023
- Added support for AWS access key authentication to the Amazon Redshift catalog.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the Google Sheets catalog from being linked to any cluster regions.
- Added display for the definition of schemas, tables and views in the catalog explorer.
31 Mar 2023
- Renamed resource intensive query processing mode to fault tolerant execution mode.
29 Mar 2023
- Added public preview support for tags. Assign tags to entities in the catalog explorer.
- Added public preview support for attribute-based access control policies. Combine policies and attributes, such as tags, to further manage role access to your entities.
27 Mar 2023
- Added support for Tabular catalogs.
22 Mar 2023
- In lists, the options menu moved to the right side of each row and the redundant pen icon was removed. This applies to the lists of Saved queries, Users, Roles, and service accounts.
- Added the ability to preserve the collapsed or expanded state of nodes when switching between tabs in the query editor.
- In the catalog explorer, selecting a node now automatically opens the detail pane for that node. Likewise, selecting a data entity in the detail pane now highlights that node in the explorer tree.
20 Mar 2023
- Fixed an issue that caused the Add privilege dialog to close if it opened before metadata was loaded in the catalog explorer.
16 Mar 2023
- The cluster explorer in the query editor no longer needs clusters to be running to expand the cluster. This lets you write a full query without a running cluster, waiting to start the cluster until you are ready to execute the query.
- Added support for Google Sheets catalogs.
14 Mar 2023
- The query editor now visually indicates with color symbols each cluster’s current status.
- Added Cluster type to the cluster quick info dialogs in the cluster explorer pane.
- Added the ability for administrators to view utilization and metrics statistics for their clusters.
- Fixed an issue with data persisting when switching between tables in the data preview pane.
27 Feb 2023
- Added support for custom metadata on entities in the catalog explorer.
16 Feb 2023
- Added a View details option to the query editor vertical ellipsis menu that opens the explorer page for the catalog, schema, table, view, or column.
15 Feb 2023
- Added support for service accounts.
10 Feb 2023
- Fixed issue with autoscaling clusters not scaling up correctly.
9 Feb 2023
- Added the ability to reorder query editor tabs.
25 Jan 2023
- Added a notification system shown as a bell icon in Galaxy’s banner header.
17 Jan 2023
- Added the ability to use consecutive underscores in PostgreSQL catalog names.
- Removed the ability to run resource intensive query processing
mode for the
- Deprecated request for a connection URL during MongoDB configuration and added a new configuration form.
6 Jan 2023
- Added support for editing shared query access rights based on role.
- Added auto-completion support for table aliases in the query editor.
13 Dec 2022
- Fixed behavior issue with the < Back button on the query details page.
- Fixed bug that caused clusters to be de-selected when refreshing the edit cluster schedule page.
8 Dec 2022
- Changed the navigation menu to be collapsible into icons only. Submenus are still visible by hovering over an icon.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Top tables metric to report the wrong number when grouped by queries.
- Fixed bugs related to browser back button usage.
- Added SSH tunnel support for Elasticsearch.
6 Dec 2022
- Added a warning banner to the cluster creation dialog when enabling resource intensive query processing mode.
- Fixed bug that prevented access control rules from correctly limiting the list.
- Fixed issue that caused the MongoDB edit connection form to fail.
- Fixed issue that prevented users from deleting certain cluster schedules.
28 Nov 2022
- Added public preview support for catalog explorer, which allows users to discover data without running a cluster.
10 Nov 2022
- Added the cluster scheduling feature.
8 Nov 2022
- Fixed bug that caused the delete button to hang when deleting a custom cluster autoscale configuration.
4 Nov 2022
- Added read-write access to MongoDB catalogs that are configured with single node deployment or that configure replica sets across the same cloud provider region.
1 Nov 2022
- Added a new catalog: public preview support for Elasticsearch data platforms, including Amazon OpenSearch Service.
25 Oct 2022
- Fixed bug that prevented granting the same privilege to more than one entity in certain cases.
20 Oct 2022
- Updated the Show/Hide filters UI on the Query history panel. A date selection is now required with Today as the default. Simplified and clarified adding other filter criteria.
- Restricted query history to 90 days back from today’s date.
18 Oct 2022
- Added public preview support for read-only access to existing Hudi tables in the supported cloud object stores Amazon S3, Azure ADLS, and Google Cloud.
- Added support for connecting to MongoDB instances using an SSH tunnel to a bastion host.
- Added a link to these release notes in the Starburst Galaxy Help menu.
11 Oct 2022
- Extended single sign-on support to include custom identity providers.
- Fixed a bug that allowed creation of privileges for write operations in read-only catalogs.
4 Oct 2022
- Added support for Google BigQuery catalogs to read views (but not materialized views).
29 Sep 2022
- Added another tutorial, Federate multiple data sources that shows how to join two data sources in different catalogs with the same query.
- Reorganized the Cloud settings panes, with new SSH tunnels sections added for both AWS and Azure.
- Renamed the built-in metastore option for object storage catalogs to the Starburst Galaxy metastore.
26 Sep 2022
- Added a tutorial, Query the COVID-19 data lake that shows how to use the free research datasets provided by AWS.
- Added support for the SQL MERGE statement.
- Added Shared with me in the Saved queries pane that allows you to share saved queries with one or more roles for editing collaboration.
22 Sep 2022
- Added support for read-only Snowflake catalogs on Google Cloud.
15 Sep 2022
- Added a new location privilege which allows you to restrict or allow access to object storage locations.
14 Sep 2022
- Added single sign-on support so that logins can authenticate with identity providers Okta, Azure AD, or Google Workspace.
- Added the COVID-19 data lake dataset that configures access to the data on S3 that AWS provides for free without requiring an AWS account.
- Added a troubleshooting guide.
26 Aug 2022
- Added a new catalog: public preview, read-only support for Google BigQuery warehouses.
- Added a new catalog: public preview, support for MongoDB or MongoDB Atlas data platforms.
- Added a Run all (limit 1000) option to the Run button so that selecting the queries to run is no longer required.
18 Aug 2022
- Added an onboarding workflow when signing up for a new Galaxy account that gathers information on Galaxy use cases and preferred data sources.
- Updated the UI that manages roles and privileges to clarify the process.
11 Aug 2022
- Added customization of the cluster autoscaling feature from navigation menu Admin > Cluster configuration, which allows you to create a named set of minimum and maximum number or worker nodes. This is a public preview feature.
4 Aug 2022
- Added support for selecting multiple SQL statements in the query editor to run in sequence.
2 Aug 2022
- Added support for connecting a Snowflake database as a data source. Supported as a public preview on AWS and Azure clouds.
- Added public preview support for schema discovery of catalogs in object store data sources only.
30 July 2022
- Improved user interface to change your current Starburst Galaxy role.
28 July 2022
- Added an option to never suspend a cluster.
26 July 2022
- Added access to the Starburst Galaxy REST API to allow cluster management without the user interface.
- Added the API auth token option to the Access control navigation menu to generate API authentication tokens and assign roles to them.
28 June 2022
- Added support for connecting to Azure Synapse.
- Added automatic persistence across sessions of catalog and schema selections per tab in the query editor.
16 June 2022
- Added support for authenticating Azure Data Lake Storage data sources using an Azure service principal.
14 June 2022
- Added support for table and view privileges and entities.
- Added the ability for users to save queries from the query editor to a separate list of named queries.
17 May 2022
Improved handling of multiple queries: In a worksheet with multiple queries, you can execute the current query based on cursor position without highlighting it in the query editor.
Added default table format selection to Great Lakes connectivity when configuring the catalog in Amazon S3, Azure Data Lake Storage, and Google Cloud Storage.
4 May 2022
- Added Great Lakes connectivity to the Amazon S3, Azure Data Lake Storage, and Google Cloud Storage object storage catalogs, and therefore added support for Iceberg and Delta Lake table formats.
- Added support for resource intensive query processing mode.
29 Apr 2022
- Added autocomplete for SQL functions and inline documentation in the query editor.
- Added dedicated cloud settings section for AWS to manage IAM roles.
15 Apr 2022
- Added the ability to download a query result set directly from the query editor. Result sets with more than 1000 rows are allowed.
22 Mar 2022
- Added support for connecting to SQL Server data sources.
8 Mar 2022
- Added support for personal query history by role.
- Added support for autocomplete SQL grammar in the query editor. Valid keywords
LIKE, and others are suggested when appropriate to speed up your query writing.
3 Mar 2022
- Added support for connecting to Redshift and the Hive Metastore Service in Amazon S3, Azure Data Lake Storage, and Google Cloud Storage catalogs via SSH tunnels.
- Combined tables and views in one node in the explorer view of the query editor.
18 Feb 2022
- Added Redshift catalog.
- Added support for connecting to MySQL and PostgreSQL catalogs via SSH tunnels.
- Added the ability to connect catalogs to clusters in a new step in the catalog set up.
- Added support for authentication with a cross-account IAM role in S3 catalogs.
Initial deployments to first public launch with cluster management, a set of supported catalogs, query editor, authentication and access control, and more.
Is the information on this page helpful?